Creating a consent form in Google Forms
- Open Google Forms and select the plus sign
- Add a title to your form
- Add your question and add Yes and No response options
- Make sure to toggle on the Required button
- Click the Add title and description button
- Move your new text box section above your first question
- Click Add section to create a second section
- Fill out the information for your second section
- Click the three vertical dots and select Go to section based on answer
- Select the dropdown menu and direct your questions accordingly
Many situations require your clients’ consent, from medical procedures to events, and getting it for services you provide is key to your legal protection. Since consent forms are so important for many businesses, being able to build them quickly is essential.
Google Forms, a popular form builder, is one such tool that can help your team build consent forms. However, this solution may not provide the customization your team needs. Keep reading to get a breakdown of how to create a consent form on Google Forms and learn about an alternative form builder to consider.
When to use consent forms
Consent forms are commonplace in a variety of industries. Businesses, organizations, and individuals use them to protect themselves from potential legal issues regarding their goods and services.
These forms typically describe the details, risks, and rules of participating in a given activity, procedure, or event, so users can decide if they’re comfortable with the possible outcomes. If a user signs, they confirm their understanding of the risks associated with participation and that they are interested in continuing.
There are many types of consent forms, some of which include
- Informed consent forms
- Medical consent forms
- Travel consent forms
- Release forms
- Client contracts
- Liability waivers
- Parental consent forms
Once you identify the kind of form you need for your particular circumstances, you can build it in Google Forms. (Note: For those in the medical industry, keep in mind that your form provider will need to offer HIPAA-compliance features, which may require you to use an alternative to Google Forms).
How to create a consent form on Google Forms
Understanding the different functionalities and logic rules available in Google Forms is key to creating a consent form. However, not everyone is familiar with Google Forms’ tools. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create a consent form in Google Forms yourself.
- Open Google Forms and select the plus sign (Blank) under Start a new form.
- Add a title to your form. You can also add a description to help users know the purpose of your form.
- Your new form will automatically include a single question field. Add your question and add Yes and No response options.
- Make sure to toggle on the Required button so users have to answer before continuing.
- In the sidebar next to your first question, click the Add title and description button.
- Move your new text box section above your first question and enter the information about what the respondent is consenting to.
- Go back to the sidebar next to your question and click Add section to create a second section. This second section will be for those who choose to decline consent.
- Fill out the information for your second section, informing users they’ve successfully declined consent for your form.
- Once you create your sections, you can use conditional formatting to provide the best user experience for your respondents. Set up your questions to direct users to the correct next section depending on their responses. To do that, click the three vertical dots in the lower-right corner of your question and select Go to section based on answer.
- Select the dropdown menu next to each question and direct your questions accordingly. Your “yes” response should direct users to the “submit response” page, while “no” should redirect users to the “consent declined” page.
Learning how to create a consent form on Google Forms lets you make your consent forms accessible and easy to fill out. However, Google Forms falls short on both personalization and additional features and doesn’t offer e-signature capabilities, so an alternative form builder may be a more appealing option.
Why Jotform is a more powerful alternative
Google Forms is a popular form builder, but you may find it lacks the features your business needs to get the best results from your consent forms. Jotform, on the other hand, is designed to boost your form’s effectiveness while reducing the work required of your team.
Jotform offers more through resources such as
- Offline forms with Jotform Mobile Forms
- More than 100 available integrations with popular third-party apps
- HIPAA compliance features
- E-signatures with Jotform Sign
With Jotform’s user-friendly drag-and-drop form builder, creating powerful consent forms has never been easier for your team.
How to create a consent form in Jotform
Creating a consent form in Jotform only takes a few steps and ensures your business is protected. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Form Builder.
- Add your organization’s name and logo, if desired.
- Title your consent form and add a description.
- Select the Add form element + button on the left side of the Form Builder to open the form elements menu.
- Find the form fields you want to include in your form, including long text, heading, name, and signature fields. Then drag and drop them into place.
- To add conditional logic, click on the Settings tab, then select Conditions. You can show or hide fields, skip certain pages, and more according to the person’s responses to previous questions.
- Once you have your fields and logic in place, design your form to fit your branding using the Form designer button on the right side of the builder.
After your form is complete, select the Publish button at the top right of the screen and share it with your clients as often as you need to. With Jotform, you can email your consent forms, share them via a link, add them to social media bios, or even embed them on your website.
Don’t have time to build a form from scratch? Jotform has more than 750 consent form templates to choose from, and they’re fully customizable — so you can get the form you need without the hassle of building it from scratch.
As your clients fill out your form, their responses will automatically be collected and organized in Jotform Tables. This reduces the burden of manual data entry on your team and ensures you never miss a response.
If your team needs to build a consent form, Google Forms makes it possible. But, if you’re looking for the easiest, most effective consent forms, consider an alternative like Jotform that protects your business and simplifies the form-building process.